Admission to Year 7 (11+)
Edgbaston High school is a selective school. Girls applying for entry to Year 7 are assessed on the basis of Entrance Assessments in English and Mathematics and interview. In addition, a confidential report on achievement and progress is requested from your daughter's current school.
To apply for a place at EHS all candidates must complete the relevant Registration Form, including any scholarship or bursary applications. Completion of the Registration Form is taken as a clear parental statement of interest in the school.
A Registration Fee of £75 is payable at this stage to cover administration fees and is non-refundable. Please make your cheque payable to 'Edgbaston High School', or contact the Finance Assistant in the Bursary Office on 0121 454 5831 to make a payment by debit or credit card. Acceptance of a registration does not constitute an offer of a place.
DOWNLOAD SENIOR SCHOOL REGISTRATION FORM
ENTRANCE EXAMINATION - OCTOBER 2021
In light of the continuing issues surrounding Covid-19 we have decided to scale back the length of the entrance assessments that Year 6 prospective students will sit. Previously students would have sat 2¼ hours worth of Maths and English papers with 200 other children on a Saturday morning. We are going to reduce this to a 50 minute online assessment that will be taken at EHS in October. Children will be invited in small groups to the Senior school and take the assessment in one of our ICT rooms. They will also have an interview with a member of the middle or senior management team.
The online assessment will be made up of 3 parts, Maths, English and NVR.
No special preparation is advised as the syllabus should reflect that covered by girls of good ability at all primary schools. We are not looking for what a candidate has been taught so much as to identify their potential. We do not provide past examination papers.
Extra time may be allowed in Entrance Tests in the following circumstances:
- where an up-to-date Educational Psychologist's Report supporting and requesting this is submitted with the application for entry, and
- following an interview with parents to ascertain the suitability of the provision which EHS can currently make for pupils with Special Educational Needs.
We are keen to meet all candidates in person to find out more about their individual interests, gifts and talents. All girls are required to attend an interview with the Headmistress or a member of the Senior Team. These take place on the day your daughter sits her entrance examination.
Results are sent in early December.
The school reserves the right not to interview candidates on the basis of poor performance in the Entrance Tests and is under no obligation to enter into correspondence concerning such decisions. Entrance Tests for admission in September take place in October of the year before, and offers of places are made in early December. Parents' decisions on acceptance (or otherwise) are required on, or as soon as possible, following the first Monday in March - a date agreed by local independent schools.
Occasionally, due to parental demand, we have run one supplementary Entrance Test around Easter time. Please contact the Admissions Office for further information.
- Whole School Virtual Open Morning, Year 7 Registration Deadline and Bursary Application Deadline: Saturday 18 September 2021 9.30am - 12.00 noon
- Year 7 Entrance Examination (for entry in September 2022): Week commencing 4 October 2021 - Invitations will be sent
- Year 7 Martineau Music Exam: Theory/Listening - Date to be confirmed
- Year 7 Martineau Music Exam: Performance - Date to be confirmed
- Offer Letters: By end of Autumn Term 2021
- Event for prospective Year 7 pupils and parents: An Audience with EHS - January 2022
- Offers Deadline: March 2022