Admission to Year 7 (11+)
ADMISSION TO YEAR 7 NOW OPEN - SEPTEMBER 2021
Edgbaston High school is a selective school. Girls applying for entry to Year 7 are assessed on the basis of Entrance Assessments in English and Mathematics and interview. In addition, a confidential report on achievement and progress is requested from your daughter's current school.
To apply for a place at EHS all candidates must complete the relevant Registration Form, including any scholarship or bursary applications. Completion of the Registration Form is taken as a clear parental statement of interest in the school.
A Registration Fee of £75 is payable at this stage to cover administration fees and is non-refundable. Please make your cheque payable to 'Edgbaston High School', or contact the Finance Assistant in the Bursary Office on 0121 454 5831 to make a payment by debit or credit card. Acceptance of a registration does not constitute an offer of a place.
To request a copy of the Senior School prospectus and Registration Form please contact Admissions on 0121 454 5831 or email@example.com. Alternatively:
DOWNLOAD SENIOR SCHOOL REGISTRATION FORM
ENTRANCE EXAMINATION - SATURDAY 10 OCTOBER 2020
The English exam papers are designed to test reading and writing skills and to explore a candidate's potential. In the past, tasks have included comprehension type questions and creative writing.
Mathematics exam papers consist of a series of questions, which are designed to test the candidate's ability to use and apply the straightforward process of arithmetic. No calculators of any kind are allowed.
No special preparation is advised as the syllabus should reflect that covered by girls of good ability at all primary schools. We are not looking for what a candidate has been taught so much as to identify their potential. We do not provide past examination papers.
Extra time may be allowed in Entrance Tests in the following circumstances:
- where an up-to-date Educational Psychologist's Report supporting and requesting this is submitted with the application for entry, and
- following an interview with parents to ascertain the suitability of the provision which EHS can currently make for pupils with Special Educational Needs.
We are keen to meet all candidates in person to find out more about their individual interests, gifts and talents. All girls are required to attend an interview with the Headmistress or a member of the Senior Team. These take place in the weeks following the examination and you will be advised of your appointment when we invite your daughter to sit the entrance test. Your invitation letter will be posted to you at the end of the Autumn term.
Examinations are set and marked by staff at the school and each girl's scripts are discussed and considered before a decision on offering a place is made. Results are sent in early December.
The school reserves the right not to interview candidates on the basis of poor performance in the written Entrance Tests and is under no obligation to enter into correspondence concerning such decisions. Entrance Tests for admission in September take place in October of the year before, and offers of places are made in early December. Parents' decisions on acceptance (or otherwise) are required on, or as soon as possible, following the first Monday in March - a date agreed by local independent schools.
Occasionally, due to parental demand, we have run one supplementary Entrance Test around Easter time. Please contact the Admissions Office for further information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0121 454 5831.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Download our FAQ SHEET
- Whole School Open Morning, Year 7 Registration Deadline and Bursary Application Deadline: Saturday 19 September 2020 9.30am - 12.00 noon
- Year 7 Entrance Examination (for entry in September 2021): Saturday 10 October 2020
- Year 7 Martineau Music Exam: Theory/Listening - Saturday 10 October 2020
- Year 7 Martineau Music Exam: Performance - To be advised, but likely Wednesday 14 October 2020
- Offer Letters: By end of Autumn Term 2020
- Event for prospective Year 7 pupils and parents: An Audience with EHS - January 2021
- Offers Deadline: March 2021